All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Playing Videos doesn't work (preview is ok)

Rochabian

Hi,

It's been a while since i played a video on my mamecabcab but it seems to no longer work.

I'm on Win11Pro, i tried to change codecs (Shark, K-Lite), change theme to default one, use an external player (VLC and MPC-HC ), but nothing is launched, i just get a black screen

Video preview is working well strangely, so surely not a codec problem.

I can play video outside of Gameex Without problem

Is this function broken on 18.64 ?

Thanks

I've installed a fresh 18.64 version in another folder with default setup, just changing the video path but it's the same.

I have as specific setup with 2 Video cards, could this be a problem ? 

What happens, just black screen when you select a video?

Was it working before, anything changed? 

I wonder if its stopping at the part it gets movie data from my server perhaps.

ill try with your ini shortly

Edit; you said new install had issue too.

It could be video card maybe but you should get something in the log.

Yes , just black screen, it doesn't freeze Gameex, as i can return to the video menu with back button

I don't use the video information search function

Is there some files in the AppData folder to clean ? I don't see a Gameex folder there

No data to clear i am aware of. Not really sure right now.

Anything else change on the machine? Does it work with previous version?

What type of video file is it?

if the path is in the movie field it will search for info on a new install.

No videos works like avi, mpg mkv from 320x240 to 1080p

When i launch a video, there is fade zoom then black screen, and if i push back button, fade zoom and return to video menu

I think it was working with this setup before on Windows 11, it's been a while since i played a video, but preview was always working.

I'll update my graphic drivers.

I've updated my graphic card driver, disabled the second one, but it's the same.

I don't know what is causing this issue, it's a bit strange. I'll try other tests

EDIT : Added a video of the problem ( you could see that my screen is very dirty  😅)

Yes but it's the same

I tried to install Gamex, fresh install on another standard machine (Win 11 pro 23H2, like other system ) and it's the same, no  log of launching video with black screen.

Could it be Win 11 related ?

I downgraded to 18.50 on the second machine and video are working, and there is a trace in the log. Then i updated to 18.64 and black screen again with no trace in the log

EDIT : 18.56 is working too, but not 18.64

On the latest here 18.64 with Windows 11 Pro 23H2, GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 Video Card and not able to replicate.

What GPU are you using and is it up to date with drivers?

Are you checking Event Viewer to see if any error logs noted at the time black screen occurs?

I have tested on two PCs :

My game PC has 2 graphics cards, a 4070 and a 1030 from nvidia

The second PC, for tests, has a 3070 Ti card from Nvidia

Drivers are up to date on the 2 PCs

I can replicate the problem on the 2 PCs

No event in the event viewer on the 2 PCs when black screen appears with 18.64

I don't know what could be wrong between 18.56 and 18.64

BTW if i am the only one complaining about this issue and noone can replcate the problem, no need to spend too much time resolving this, i can live with 18.56 😉

But you are aware that at least 2 PCs have problems playing videos with 18.64

I could have tried to put an AMD card in one of the 2 PC or downgrade driver version to confirm but i think i'll keep the 18.56 for now, it takes me too much time to debug this, and as i'm the only one impacted, i'm going to move on to something else

Thanks for help your Tom & Draco, it's really appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend uninstalling the Shark007 and K-Lite codecs entirely and installing the latest version of GameEx again but using LAV codecs instead to see if that remedies your issues.